Orange County prosecutors are expected to dismiss charges Friday against a former Fullerton officer accused in the deadly struggle of Kelly Thomas.
Former Officer Joe Wolfe was next due in court for a trial-setting conference Jan. 24 following the acquittal of former co-workers, Jay Cicinelli and Manuel Ramos, but it was moved up to Friday so prosecutors could have an opportunity to dismiss charges, Wolfe's attorney, Vicki Podberesky said.
Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas indicated Friday, following the acquittals, that he would dismiss the case against Wolfe because his role in the beating was "not as reprehensible."
Kelly Thomas' father, Ron, told City News Service he wished prosecutors would continue the case against Wolfe.
"I really wanted Joe Wolfe to go to trial and be convicted," Thomas said. "He's a very, very bad character. He was the first one to strike Kelly with a baton with his hands up surrendering, and then the devastating elbow blows crushing his face."
Jurors on Monday cleared 39-year-old former Officer Ramos -- who had been charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter -- and ex- Cpl. Cicinelli, 41, who was charged with involuntary manslaughter and excessive force.
Thomas got into a struggle with the officers July 5, 2011, at the Fullerton Transportation Center and died five days later.
-- City News Service