There is a bit of movement in the top 10 this week but Mission Viejo continues to hold serve as the undisputed king of Orange County football.
There was no change among the top six teams, but JSerra moved up one spot despite a fairly pedestrian victory over Dana Hills; that came at the expense of Orange Lutheran, which dropped a spot despite a victory over a very good program in Redlands East Valley.
Tesoro also moved up one spot after a nice overtime victory at Temecula Chaparral. The Titans have completed their nonleague schedule without playing a single team from O.C.
Despite playing Mater Dei tough, Edison dropped a spot to No. 10.
ORANGE COUNTY FOOTBALL POLL
Text by Steve Fryer, Orange County Register
1. Mission Viejo (5-0, 100 points) Diablos blasted Aliso Niguel, 56-7. Next: Vs. Redlands East Valley at Citrus Valley High of Redlands, Friday.
2. Mater Dei (5-0, 88) Injury-struck Monarchs struggled at times but had enough to beat Edison, 21-7. Next: Vs. Servite at Angel Stadium, Oct. 11
3. Servite (3-1, 82) Friars had the week off, prepare for De La Salle this week, Mater Dei next week. Next: Vs. De La Salle of Concord at Santa Ana Stadium, Saturday.
4. Santa Margarita (3-2, 69) That Costello-to-Sweet passing combo did it again for Eagles in 28-26 win over Trabuco Hills. Next: Vs. St. John Bosco at Saddleback College, Oct. 11.
5. Trabuco Hills (4-1, 55) Mustangs played well enough to beat most teams in 28-26 loss to Santa Margarita. Next: Vs. JSerra, Friday.
6. La Habra (4-1, 46) Highlanders rebounded from loss to Mission Viejo with 43-14 win over Gahr of Cerritos. Next: At Fullerton, Oct. 11
7. JSerra (4-0, 37) Casey Eugenio, Dante Pettis led big-play Lions to 28-12 win over Dana Hills. Next: at Trabuco Hills, Friday.
8. Orange Lutheran (5-0, 34) Lancers started slow, finished strong in 49-13 victory over Redlands East Valley. Next: Vs. JSerra at Orange Coast College, Oct. 11.
9. Tesoro (4-1, 18) Visiting Titans needed overtime to beat Chaparral of Temecula, not an easy venue for away teams. Next: Vs. Trabuco Hills, Oct. 11
10. Edison (2-2, 12) Chargers made Mater Dei work for it in 21-7 loss to Monarchs. Next: Vs. San Clemente at Huntington Beach High, Friday.MARTIN HENDERSON'S VOTE FROM PATCH.COM
1. Mission Viejo (5-0): Los Alamitos and Mission would have been better served playing each other over the weekend.
2. Servite (3-1): Had a bye, but move up; Friars have been more impressive than Mater Dei.
3. Mater Dei (5-0) Given the injuries of last week, maybe dropping Monarchs is unfair.
4. Santa Margarita (3-2) Eagles made plays when they had to against Trabuco.
5. Trabuco Hills (4-1) Mustangs lose but are neck-and-neck with Santa Margarita.
6. La Habra (4-1) Who knew 26-3 win over El Toro would be one of their tougher games?
7. JSerra (4-0) Didn’t have great performance against Dana Hills; it happens.
8. Edison (2-2) Chargers 0-for-2 against Trinity League, but they don’t play in the Trinity League.
9. Tesoro (4-1) Titans lose lead then rally in a tough place to play, Temecula Chaparral.
10. Orange Lutheran (5-0) Win over REV begins to paint nice picture of the Lancers.
TELL US IN THE COMMENTS: How do you think they should be ranked?