Fountain Valley scored the biggest upset of the Southern Section Division 1A girls’ basketball playoffs Saturday as the Barons traveled to Burbank and beat eighth-seeded Burroughs, 61-57.
Danielle Kennedy scored 19 and Emily Krause 13 for the Barons, who built a 15-point lead at halftime on the strength of a 20-9 second quarter. Kelcie Mayott, who had a team-high seven rebounds, added 12 points.
Burroughs (23-5) rallied in the fourth quarter and outscored Fountain Valley, 21-13, but were too deep in the hole to dig out.
Fountain Valley (12-14) will play host to ninth-seeded Westminster (26-3) in the second round on Wednesday. Westminster defeated Lakewood, 43-34.
In other Division 1A games, first round:
Dana Hills 42, Riverside Poly 35—The Dolphins (15-11) stormed to a 15-2 lead in the opening quarter and held on to defeat 16th-seeded Poly. Maddy Bloom scored 11 and Serena Saba and Katie Underwood scored 10 apiece. Dana Hills will play at top-seeded La Puente Bishop Amat on Wednesday. Bishop Amat defeated Katella, 66-18.
Aliso Niguel 56, El Rancho 40—Chloe Sharabba scored 14, McKenna Hayes 13 and Meagan Hayes 12 to lead the Wolverines (12-13). Sharabba and Meagan Hayes made four three-pointers apiece. Aliso (12-13) on Wednesday will play host to fourth-seeded Newbury Park, a 70-31 winner over Glendale.
(3) Vista Murrieta 58, Trabuco Hills 10—The Mustangs (6-18) suffered through perhaps their worst offensive performance in school history. They scored three in each of the first two quarters, and two in each of the last two quarters, and were down 53-8 going into the fourth.
(7) Foothill 63, Capistrano Valley 44—After a close first quarter, Foothill outscored the Cougars ·8-15) in the second, 19-9, to take control of the game. Kasey Smit led Capo Valley with 14 points and Tara Casey had 12.
Burbank 53, El Toro 41—The Chargers played Burbank even over the last three quarters, but a 22-13 deficit in the first quarter proved to be the difference. Whitney Williams scored 16 and Christen Morris 14 for El Toro (11-15).
Division 2A, first round
Tesoro 50, Inglewood 40—Priya Prasad scored 20, and Leah Wodach scored 13 with 17 rebounds to lead the Titans (14-13), who will play third-seeded Jurupa Valley Patriot, a 68-28 winner over Chino Don Lugo.
Division 3AAA, second round
(4) Laguna Hills 45, La Habra 35—Christina King scored 18 and Taylor Messick scored eight with 15 rebounds for the Hawks (21-7). Maddy Ziering-Smith added 10 points with four assists. Laguna Hills on Wednesday will play at fifth-seeded Diamond Ranch, a 50-33 winner over Rosemead.
Division 3AA, second round
(1) Mission Hills Alemany 69, San Juan Hills 27—Evelyn Fox scored 10 for the outmanned Stallions (15-11), who were down 44-15 at halftime.
Division 3A, second round
Santa Margarita 61, Pacific 50—Caitlin Heinly scored 15 and Jordy Co 14 as the Eagles (8-19) advanced to play at third-seeded La Canada, a 60-29 winner over El Monte.
Division 4AA, second round
(2) JSerra 74, Workman 38—Coco Miller scored 28 and Courtney Vaccher 16 with 11 rebounds to lead the Lions (22-5). August Touchard added 11 points and eight rebounds. JSerra on Wednesday will play Bishop Montgomery in the quarterfinals.
Division 6, second round
Capistrano Valley Christian 44, Baptist Christian 27—Felicia Conner scored 14 and Lexi Kunkle 10 for the Eagles (13-8), who move into the quarterfinals after having lost four their last six in the regular season. They will play at top-seeded Santa Maria Valley Christian, a 58-14 winner against Lee Vining.