This recipe holds a special place in my heart and with my taste buds. It has been a summertime treat in my family since I was a baby and it is a recipe any age can appreciate.
For the adults, it is quick, easy and sneaks fruit into your child’s diet. For kids, it combines three favorites into one dessert—cake, Jell-o and whipping cream.
- Make a white cake, any brand of cake mix or recipe will do. Bake in rectangle cake pan.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the cake after it cools.
- Make small package of Jell-o (I prefer strawberry flavor, both for the taste and the red, Fourth of July appropriate color). Mix Jell-o using one cup hot water, ½ cup cold water.
- Poor liquid Jell-o over the cake.
- Cover the top of the cake with whipping cream.
- Chill in the refrigerator.
- Decorate the top with fruit (or other decorations). You can create an American flag using sliced strawberries as the stripes and blueberries in the corner as stars.
Enjoy and Happy Fourth of July!