Originally posted at 3:33 p.m. July 7, 2014. Edited with new details.
Firefighters rescued a dog today while battling a blaze at a Laguna Hills home that threatened several horses on the property in the Nellie Gail Ranch area.
Two adults and a half-dozen children were displaced by the fire, which broke out about 2:15 p.m. in some bushes adjacent to the two-story home in the 25900 block of Sheriff Road, said Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi.
About 35 firefighters brought the blaze under control by 3 p.m. and kept three horses and a dog from harm, he said, adding that neighbors helped rescue two other canines.
The fire caused $170,000 in damage to the structure and $30,000 to its contents, Concialdi said, adding that the "most probable cause" was a discarded cigarette tossed into dry leaves.
--City News Service